After the delicious results of my last foray into savoury muffins, I thought I’d try my luck again when baking for my book club. I was not disappointed. I adapted a recipe from BabyBistro, adding some flavour from Green Kitchen Stories, and everyone seemed happy!
Without further ado, here is the recipe!
Spinach and Cheese Muffin Recipe
Makes approximately 9 muffins
- Half an onion, grated/finely chopped
- 175g wholemeal flour
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp ground pepper
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 110ml milk
- 100g grated cheese (I used cheddar)
- 3 handfuls of spinach leaves (I used frozen leaves)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease muffin molds
- Mix together flour, baking soda, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add the egg and the milk and mix well.
- Add the spinach leaves, cheese and onion and combine.
- Share evenly between muffin molds and bake for 15 minutes. They may need some extra time – use the age-old trick of sticking a knife in to see if it comes out clean. This means they’re ready. They should be starting to golden.
- Leave to cool (if you can wait that long).
The muffins can be frozen (if you have any left!).